Meet the main duties of the mayorMany voters do not know the duties of a mayor. See here.
Electing a mayor is making a choice of the utmost importance and, at the same time, of responsibility by each voter, because the future of the city will be in the hands of who wins the dispute. no day 2 of October, near 144 million voters go to the polls to elect mayors and deputy mayors of the municipalities. However, to vote consciously and power demand concrete actions of elected, It is important to know what are the main functions of this position.
The mayor, highest authority in the administrative structure of the executive branch of the municipality, It has the duty to fulfill obligations provided for in the Federal Constitution 1988, setting which will apply the proceeds from taxes and other funds transferred by the state and the Union. The application of public resources must comply with the Fiscal Responsibility Law (Complementary Lei n ° 101/2000) and it is set in the annual budget law of the municipality, proposed by the mayor and aldermen voted by, representing the municipal legislature.
The mayor's term lasts four years. In this period, he must, among other functions, ensure the proper administration of the city, undertaking the management of public affairs, in addition to exercising control of the purse, plan and implement works, whether construction or social area.
For the victory at the polls, the candidate for mayor (majoritarian candidate) must obtain an absolute majority of votes. If the municipality has more than 200 thousand voters, the decision of the election can occur in two shifts. In this way, to be elected in the first round, we must achieve an absolute majority of valid votes, that is, but of 50% the first election.
Besides that, it is up to the mayor not only sanction the laws approved in the vote in the city council (also called the city council), but also veto and prepare draft laws when deemed necessary.
However, he does not manage alone, and it depends on political support from councilors, as well as other levels of government, that is, the state and federal governments. The help of these two latter happens through money-lending, agreements and aid of all kinds for the execution of works and implementation of social programs, which, especially in the case of small municipalities municipalities, become critical to meet local demand.
Other tasks are performed in partnership with the state and federal governments, such as health management, for example. In the area of basic sanitation, local governments work in partnership with the states. On education, the municipality's obligation is to take care of kindergartens and elementary school.
To accomplish their tasks, local governments rely mainly on the money raised by property tax and urban land (Iptu) and Service Tax (ISS). But not always this amount is sufficient, and may require a contribution from the Federal Government.
Decide where you will apply the money raised is a mayor's task, which must be approved by the city council. People should scrutinize the mayor's work and, where suspect irregularities, shall forward the complaint to the public prosecutor or the town hall.
Importantly, case will commit a crime, the mayor is judged by city council, what, proving the committed political-administrative violations, will condemn it, subjecting him the penalty of forfeiture of office. The political-administrative infractions that may be committed by the mayor, They are listed in article. 4Of Decree-Law No. 201, from 27 February 1967.
It is up to the mayor:
• Developing the social functions of the city and ensure the welfare of its inhabitants;
• Organize public services of local interest;
• To protect the historic and cultural heritage of the city;
• Ensuring public transport and traffic organization;
• Attend community, listening to their demands and desires;
• Pave streets, preserve and build public spaces, such as squares and parks;
• To promote urban development and land use planning;
• Seek agreements, benefits and aid for the municipality that is;
• Present bills to the city council, in addition to sanction or veto;
• politically Tween with other spheres of power, always aiming to benefit local people;
• Ensure the environment, the cleanliness of the city and the sanitation;
• Implement and maintain, in good working condition, health posts, Schools and daycare centers, as well as take the school transport of children;
• Raise, administer and enforce municipal taxes in the best way;
• To plan, to command, coordinate and control, among other activities related to the position.